Tuesday, August 16, 2005

New information re London police shooting

I'm going to depart from my article-writing role and simply transmit information here. Full marks to Lotusland for this:

"ITV News has obtained secret documents and photographs that detail why police shot Jean Charles De [sic] Menezes dead on the tube.

"The documents and photographs confirm that Jean Charles was not carrying any bags, and was wearing a denim jacket, not a bulky winter coat, as had previously been claimed.

"He was behaving normally, and did not vault the barriers, even stopping to pick up a free newspaper."

UPDATE: A photograph of the victim in The Scotsman shows him wearing a denim jacket. The following are some interesting observations:

One surveillance officer admitted he could not identify Mr de Menezes because he was relieving himself as the Brazilian left his home - a block of flats in Tulse Hill where it was thought one of the bombers, Hussain Osman, lived.

"As he walked out of my line of vision I checked the photographs and transmitted that it would be worth someone else having a look. I should point out that, as I observed this male exiting the block, I was in the process of relieving myself.

"At this time I was not able to transmit my observations and switch on the video camera at the same time. There is therefore no video footage of this male."

A second officer also failed to give a positive identification but claimed the suspect had "distinctive Mongolian eyes".

No comments: