Saturday, November 17, 2007

Crow

I sincerely hope that I never have to do this again.

To David Beers, editor of The Tyee, I apologize. I triple-checked the comments on Glavin's article. My comments were nowhere to be found, nor the ones that stated their approval of what I had had to say. David emailed me indignantly, and copied those comments to my earlier post. I went back to check again. Nothing by Dawg.

Then I discovered the problem. It seems that, when comments are closed over at The Tyee, two comboxes are created. One is called "Best Comments." The other is called "All Comments." The former is the default. The latter contains my comments, minus the passage that David expunged.

I've never seen this feature before. But the fault, obviously, is still mine. Instead of giving David the benefit of the doubt, I was prepared to think the worst of him, and I didn't check further. I should have. Mea maxima culpa. Damn it, anyone got something to wash this thing down with?

PS: Tyee link restored.

UPDATE: (November 18)

David let me know by email that he's still unhappy, and wants the original post deleted. But that would be creating my own memory hole; it would make this post unintelligible; and the original post is cached all over the Web anyway. What do people think?

No comments: