Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Damn

For the reasons he gives here, Damian Penny is giving up his blog, Daimnation. That's a considerable loss for anyone who values humane conversation and the civil testing of ideas in debate.

Our politics do not jibe. But I developed a considerable respect for him over the years: he was genuinely interested in exploring the issues of the day. Rather than merely trying to score points, Damian invited response and discussion. We all get polemical from time to time, some of us more than others, but Damian was ever the gentleman: even-tempered, assertive without being offensive, never descending to namecalling. He possesses an obvious sense of decency that sometimes put him at odds with the crankier elements of his constituency. And from time to time he'd wander over to this place to keep me honest.

Good grief. It sounds like I'm writing his obituary. I'll stop now.

Damian, my best to you and your family. That's what matters, and I wish you all well. If you're ever in this neck of the woods, supper and quite a few drinks are on me.

No comments: