Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A stormy place

Atlantic storms are nothing new for Newfoundland and Labrador, but Igor left a punch. The CBC station near where my inlaws live said their equipment showed a gust of 145 km/hr. I understand that there are few injuries and I hope that is the case but my thoughts are with the people who suffered damage.

A little known fact is that the largest natural disaster in Canada in terms of lives lost was a hurricane that hit Newfoundland in 1775 and killed an estimated 4,000 people at sea (Navy and fishermen). To be clear, this hurricane says nothing about global warming, but with storms expected to intensify under warming conditions we could see more of these in the future.

Sent to me fresh this morning, here are some pictures from near where my inlaws live.


No comments: